Fire Speaks: Annual Tepoztlán Protection Ritual
Casa Xiuhtecuhtli | Tepoztlán, Morelos, MX
Sat, Dec. 4 | 3:30 pm-12:30 am
Ten years ago, the Tepoztlán Sacred Fire community asked Grandfather Fire for help during a troubling time.
He responded by gifting the people an annual protection ritual.
This ritual, which has its roots in the ancestral traditions of the Sacred Valley of Tepoztlán, invokes the energy of the local protector mountains for the benefit of those who live there—and also for the benefit of those who come from afar to participate.
Be part of this very special event, which is followed by a Fire Speaks audience with Grandfather Fire. No matter where you live, this ritual offers protection from harmful and disruptive influences. Participants will have the option to take ceremonial ashes home to be used according to instructions given during the event.
Bring your questions. Grandfather Fire will offer counsel to everyone.
In difficult times, the ageless ally of the Spirit of Fire arrives to help.
In Indigenous cultures, when the need for community guidance is urgent, such as when a situation of great imbalance exists, there exist traditions of an individual being selected for Divine to speak through—so the guidance can be heard clearly.
Now is such a time.
In many original traditions in the Americas, the spirit of Fire is known as “Grandfather Fire.” Since 1999, Grandfather Fire has been making appearances at Sacred Fire gatherings around the world. He has chosen a Huichol shaman, don David Wiley, to be his spokesperson.
In a ceremonial setting, we invite Grandfather to share his guidance.
Grandfather is wise, funny, provoking, and astonishingly insightful. An evening with the elemental spirit of Fire is an opportunity to ask our most pressing questions about the mysteries of life and to deepen our connection with the sacred. Being in Grandfather’s presence can inspire us to manifest deeper courage in meeting the challenges of our lives.
To assist your travels to and from Mexico, Sacred Fire teams will help coordinate your travel, including:
- Arranging ground transportation from Mexico City International Airport to your hotel in Tepoztlán
- Individual cost of $100 US matches the price of a local taxi service
- Trusted car service pick-up outside the customs baggage claim with personal connection to the driver via WhatsApp
- If you arrive on Friday by 3:30 pm local time, we will work to save you money by coordinating a rideshare
- Reserving a hotel room for you at nearby Posada La Presa, which includes breakfast the following morning
- $1,000 MXP per night is around $50 USD at today’s rate of around 19 pesos to the dollar
- Posada La Presa is a safe-and-easy walk 1/10th of a mile from the event location, Casa Xiuhtecuhtli. See map
- Orienting you to the town and travel, including:
- providing contact information for a local, bi-lingual resident who can be available to you by WhatsApp to help you should questions or concerns arise
- things to know about local water customs (don’t even brush your teeth with it. The hotel provides purified water and bottled water is inexpensive and generally available. And septic systems require putting TP in the trash)
- points of interest including the Saturday Market and the pre-Aztec temple situated in the sacred mountains in the Valley of Tepozteco
- Recommended restaurants in the Market and walking distance from your hotel
- Meals vary by restaurant type and typically cost between $150 and $400 MXP, or approx. $9 to $25 USD when you include the expected 10-15% tip
- Where and how to catch a taxi in the Market or using WhatsApp (no need to tip a taxi driver, but 10% is appreciated)
- How to get your COVID rapid test in less than a hour at the airport for your return into the US, approx $650-$750 MXP or $35-$40 USD
- Arranging return ground transportation from Tepoztlán back to the airport
- Depending on your departure time, rideshares can be coordinated
If you would like assistance making your travel plans to Mexico, please contact Sacred Fire at email@example.com no later than Monday, Nov. 15th.
Fire Speaks is a rare and precious offering of teachings that provide much-needed wisdom perspective to help everyone in this time of uncertainty. We are aware of the unprecedented challenges presented by COVID-19. Sacred Fire is committed to ensuring the health and safety of our event participants, volunteers and their families. Event leaders will walk you through a process to ensure we enjoy our time together and prioritize everyone’s safety. More information will be posted here soon.
Grandfather Fire—Traditional cultures throughout the Americas have long known Fire to be a wise and loving presence. Many Aboriginal and First Nations peoples call the Spirit of Fire Grandfather. During Fire Speaks audiences, traditional healer Don David Wiley lends his body so the Spirit of Fire can answer questions from those who come to hear His stories and wisdom. Spending time with Grandfather Fire and his teachings about living life from Heart has helped thousands find clarity and courage to meet life’s challenges in a new way. Grandfather Fire is wise, funny, provoking, and profoundly insightful. Spending an evening with Him is a unique opportunity to ask your most pressing questions about life’s mysteries and deepen your connection with the sacred spirits of the natural world.
Saturday, December 4th
3:30 pm—Registration and Check-in
- Social time: Get to know each other and the local community
- Presentations and Q&A about Casa Xiuhtecuhtli, the activities and events hosted on this Sacred Land and the significance of Fire Speaks and the Protection Ritual.
- Delicious sweet and savory tamales, coffee and atole for dinner (separate purchase, please bring pesos)
6:00 pm—Ceremony to create the ritual space that supports the presence of Grandfather Fire.
8:00 pm—Protection Ritual
8:30 pm-1:30 am—Audience with Grandfather Fire
All times are subject to change, we appreciate your patience and flexibility.
Sunday, December 5 (Optional for those who are able to stay an extra day)
4:00-5:00 pm—Return to Casa Xiuhtecuhtli to pick up ashes from the fire to take home with you. These ashes carry the energy of the Protection Ritual. Instructions for their use will be given at the Fire.
Wednesday, December 8 (Optional for those who are in the area)
6:00-8:00pm—Study Group: We gather again around the Fire to share our experiences, insights and understanding of our time with Grandfather.
$90 USD – Non-Mexican residents.
Mexican residents contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
ALL TICKET SALES ARE FINAL: If you are unable to attend, you may transfer your ticket to someone else to attend Fire Speaks December 4, 2021, in Tepoztlán. Please let us know the transferee’s name via email at email@example.com.
On the day of the event, If you have Covid-19 symptoms, have been exposed to someone with Covid-19 in the past 2 weeks or are not well when arriving for registration onsite you will receive a full refund. Alternatively, you may also maintain your registration and apply it towards another Fire Speaks event in 2022.